Please join NOC, community members, and featured speakers for an Education Equity and Justice meeting this Thursday, May 22nd from 6p.m. - 8:30p.m. at the NOC office to recognize the 60th anniversary of the landmark U.S. Supreme Court case, Brown v. Board of Education, which ruled segregated public schools unconstitutional.
We invite the community, the Minneapolis Public Schools superintendent, current school board members and candidates to listen to a presentation that includes:
- A historical overview of Brown v. Board.
- Analysis of racial disparities in educational opportunities and outcomes today.
- Testimonies from students, parents and teachers.
We will also discuss possible demands for a public school system that truly embraces the practices of justice, including:
- A moratorium on out of school suspensions for nonviolent incidents.
- Establishment of a Multicultural Studies Dept to ensure equitable development of culturally relevant curriculum.
- Sustainable investment in demonstrably effective programs that increase # / % of teachers of color.
- Investment in full-service community school models at all struggling, high poverty public schools.
911 W Broadway Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55411
Google map and directions